Thursday, December 18, 2008

let them have animation

following some really questionable logic, i felt compelled to go see an animated twin bill. as if i need to be running to the multiplex, adding even more to my docket. what can i say? i luvs me some movies.

madagascar: escape 2 africa--
all the earmarks of one to stay away from. yet i bit. and i coulda/shoulda done without. here we have one of those seemingly thrown together projects, hastily greenlit to cash in on success of predecessor. hokey script culls from prior greats. load roster with name voice talent, and that's entertainment? uh, no; not for me. granted, target demo kids (3-8 maybe?) don't know difference or care. bottom line is business, of course, so I'll do best to not support next low-grade waste of time.
uh, no: 0 stars

bolt--
above pic wishes it could be this fun, smart, fresh. not quite as "awesome" as it purports to be, yet sure to speak to kids of all ages and entertain their parents, too. nice mix of animation styles. dig the peeks inside the hollywood machine and the dissection of Celebrity. would prefer, however, not to have miley cyrus crammed down my throat.
all ages: 3 stars

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The problem with the great animation over the past ten years is...it has spawned a bunch of crap ripoffs with predictable humor! I took my son to Madagascar 1 back in the day, and even HE thought it was trite...and he was their target demographic back then.

The next time I see you I'll give you a big hug to console you....spending a few hours watching ANY madagascar earns one a big hug, to be certain.